Monday, March 28, 2011

My Beginnings Into Jpop

I discovered Jpop in about summer 2007 through High School Musical. Not the place you'd expect someone to find it.

High School Musical 2 was showcasing different versions of their songs on Family. When the Japanese version of "You Are the Music In Me" by Nami Tamaki came on, I instantly fell in love. It sounded like just the right music for me. I liked upbeat songs. ( I really liked her hair too!) 

I later began looking for the lyrics to the song so I could sing along. I eventually learned the lyrics by heart. My sister was on the computer one day, looking for other songs by Nami Tamaki. She found "Heroine" and I instantly was sucked into the world of Jpop. 


You Are the Music In Me (Japanese) - Nami Tamaki


Heroine-Nami Tamaki


Today, almost all of my songs on my iPod are either Japanese or Korean. I prefer Japanese over Korean, although I know a lot of people who prefer vice versa. I have three American songs left on my Ipod that have yet to be deleted, and haven't been fully listened to since then. I've discovered a huge amount of Jpop artists since then, like Ayumi Hamasaki, Kana Nishino, Kanon Wakeshima, and a lot of others. A few of my favourite songs are: 

Ai no Imi wo Oshiete - W (Double You)

This is one of my favourite songs from W (Double You). 



Best Friend - Kana Nishino

Another beautiful song from Kana Nishino. The lyrics are really strong too. 


I've gotten so addicted to Jpop that I don't even listen to American music anymore, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. A good thing that comes out of it is that I can learn about Japanese culture. The bad thing? There are two things: 1. I don't know what some people are talking about anymore. 2. I have an assignment for English, where we're supposed to pick songs for scenes we are assigned to do. I don't think we're allowed to do any other songs but English, so you can say... I'm screwed. For the time being. I just hope I can find an American song that fits Romeo and Juliet Act 4 Scene 1 in time! It's gonna be a lot of work. I just know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment